Hey guys, my name is Gerard O’Brien.
Normal (or at least I think so) Irish guy who loves all things tech… I write about Cloud technology, Networking, Cyber Security, Lab building etc. You’ll also find tips on technology training and getting certified.
Outside of technology, I enjoy running, beautiful pints of Guinness and having the craic.
Born and bred in Ireland, now living in London after spending several years in Sydney. I have been working in technology for around 17 years… around 12 of those professionally with technology-based companies around the world.
Like most newbie IT people out there, I started out fixing my friend’s printer, installing questionable versions of Windows (come on… we have all done it) and selling homemade PC’s to my neighbours at Christmas time.
After University I spent several years working for a range of IT Managed Services companies. This was a great introduction to IT and provided lots of opportunities to work with different technology vendors. Not all companies use the same tech, plus staff numbers are usually different… so this was a great chance to build up my skills and get exposure to various vendors configured in different ways.
For the past 5 years, I have been working for a global construction business called Laing O’Rourke, they are the business behind some well-known projects such as the Atlantis Hotel in Dubai, London 2012 Olympic and Paralympics and various other projects.
After working in managed services for many years, I’ve aimed to specialise and focus on areas of IT that really interest me. Therefore across the blog you’ll find content around cloud, networking, security etc. You’ll also find content on training, lab building and certifications.
Thanks for reading! You can reach me via the Contact page or any social media.
Getting certified is really hard work… you have to buy multiple courses, books, build labs and dedicate study time… but honestly, I think it’s worth the effort and something everyone in IT should work towards.
Over the past six years, I have been working hard to get certified in many areas, my key areas are Cloud, Network and Security. I developed a good strategy and after over 25 certifications I now know how to properly plan, study, prepare and pass exams.
- Amazon Web Services: Certified Solutions Architect Associate (AWS-CSA)
- Amazon Web Services: Certified SysOps Administrator Associate (AWS-SAA)
- Amazon Web Services: Certified Developer Associate (AWS-DA)
- Amazon Web Services: Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional (AWS-DOP)
- Microsoft: Certified Azure Architect Expert
- Microsoft: Certified Azure Security Engineer
- Microsoft: Certified Azure Network Engineer
- Microsoft: Certified Azure Administrator
- Microsoft: Certified Network Product Specialist (MCNPS)
- Microsoft: Certified Product Specialist (MCPS)
- Microsoft: Certified Technical Specialist – Server 2012 (MCTS)
- Microsoft: Certified Technical Specialist – Server 2008 (MCTS)
- Microsoft: Certified Technical Specialist – Server 2008 SBS (MCTS)
- Microsoft: Certified Technical Specialist – Windows 7 (MCP)
- Google: Cloud Engineer Associate (ACE)
- Cisco: Certified Network Professional – CCNP Routing & Switching (CCNP)
- Cisco: Certified Specialist – Enterprise Advanced Infrastructure Implementation (CCNP)
- Cisco: Certified Specialist – Enterprise Core (CCNP)
- Cisco: Certified Network Associate – Voice (CCNA)
- Cisco: Certified Network Associate – Routing & Switching (CCNA)
- CompTIA: Linux+ Certified
- Linux Professional Institute: Linux (LPIC -1)
- Linux Professional Institute: Linux (LPIC -2)
- Check Point: Certified Security Administrator, R80 (CCSA)
- Dell SonicWALL: Certified Security Administrator (CCSA)
- VMWare: Certified Associate 6 (VCA)
- Ulster University – BSc Honours Degree Computing & Design (BSc Hons)